- The Nation‘s guide to the Resistance; links here to many of the resources listed below and others as well.
- The pull-out Action Guide from the Yes Men’s Washington Post parody edition.
- 50+ Strategies for Fighting Trump from Daily Kos
- Indivisible, a guide to grassroots organizing. The Washington State site exists here. The Seattle chapter has a Facebook page.
- 350 Seattle Climate Justice
- An early New Yorker article by John Cassidy. Some of his suggestions are still useful, and there is plenty of other analysis and commentary in the magazine.
- The Stranger’s Resistance and Solidarity Calendar
- Find Your Lane Seattle, an on-ramp to activism.
- The Backbone Campaign
- People Power
- Indivisible Washington’s docket of Current Actions
- GrabYourWallet — whom to boycott
- Donate to swing district Democrats
- The BBC. You can watch BBC World News America on PBS over the air or on cable; live-streams by third parties can sometimes be found.
- Deutsche Welle, worldwide news and culture.
- Der Spiegel
- USAFacts, a project by Steve Ballmer
The Problem of Fake News
- Merchants of Doubt — There’s a movie about this too.
- The Climate Reality Project
- Deutsche Welle‘s series on fake news
- Tips for evaluating news from Cornell Libraries
- The Seattle Times‘ story on fake-news education
- Calling Bullshit — from the University of Washington’s course
- Logically Fallacious, a collection of tricks and traps
- Why Facts Don’t Change Our Minds — a New Yorker book review
- Real Change, the Seattle street paper
- The “Six Best Political Fact-Checkers.”
- The Washington Post fact checker
- StopFake.org‘s tools for verifying online material. They were the first to call out Russia’s meddling in Ukraine.
- Union of Concerned Scientists
- The Sierra Club
- National Resources Defense Council
- 350.org, building a powerful climate movement
- Public Citizen
- Planned Parenthood
- #grabyourwallet — whom to boycott
- The Movement for Black Lives
- NAACP Seattle King County
- The Southern Poverty Law Center
- Anti-Defamation League Seattle chapter
- International Rescue Committee; Seattle Facebook page
- Norhwest Immigrant Rights Project
- Washington Immigrant Solidarity Network Facebook page
- The Industrial Workers of the World
- Greater Seattle IWW General Defense Committee Local 24
- The Electronic Frontier Foundation
- Refuse Fascism
- Occupy Democrats, and their Facebook page.
On the Body Politic
It seems to me that we need both a culture that will support a just society, and an electoral process that fairly represents it. Neither of those will stand very long on its own.
- The Leap Manifesto — a call for the reordering of Canadian politics, that could serve as a pattern for the United States.
- The Pew Research Center’s report on political typology.
- National Popular Vote
- Fair Vote The movement for Ranked Choice Voting
- An article by Jeffrey Toobin about voter suppression
- Legistorm — keeping track of Congress
- Call or write the White House!
- Open Secrets Center for Responsive Politics
Communication and psychology
- Make Tweets Great Again donates to the ACLU every time Trump tweets.
- Keep your parents safe — block the Fox News channel.
- One of the best statements of the climate problem, in a New Yorker article by Bill McKibben, of 350.org.
- How to block the Trump Handshake